Aaaaaaaand the wait is finally over, kids: the Nikon 1 J2 mirrorless camera and Nikkor 11-27.5mm lens have been officially announced. The Nikon 1 J2 is the latest addition to the Nikon 1 system that builds upon Nikon’s popular Nikon 1 J1 model. To be honest though, I really can’t see any difference between the J1 and the J2 bodies. In fact, they both look identical on the spec sheet, which yon can quickly generate on Nikon’s website. The good news is the new J2 body is $100 cheaper MSRP.
This is in addition to the 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, a new super-compact addition to the 1 NIKKOR line of lens that features a 2.5x zoom, and the WP-N1, an underwater case that houses the Nikon 1 J1 or J2 and 10-30mm kit lens that is waterproof up to 40 meters.
High res images are available here as the press room populates: http://www.nikonusa.com/About-Nikon/Press-Room/Photo-Gallery/index.page
Nikon 1 J2 Highlights:
– High-resolution 3-inch, 921,000 dot LCD monitor
– New Creative Mode with a variety of shooting modes and fast access to full manual exposure controls (P,S,A,M)
– New metallic body and mode dial and available in White, Black, Silver, Pink and two new colors- deep Red and Orange
– Nikon 1 J2 with 10-30mm kit lens will be available in September 2012 for a suggested retail price of $549.95.
– Purchase on B&H.
Nikon 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens Highlights
– Smaller and lighter than current 10-30mm kit lens
– Standard 2.5x zoom lens (30-74mm equivalent)
– Available in Black and White and compatible with Nikon 1 J1, J2 and V1 cameras
– Available in late September 2012 for a suggested retail price of $189.95
Nikon WP-N1 underwater case
– Compatible with Nikon 1 J1 and J2 cameras with attached 1 NIKKOR 10-30mm lens.
– Waterproof up to 40 meters (131 feet)
– Available in Black and White
– Available in September 2012 for a suggested retail price of $749.95